Main Image

Main Image

Friday 26 February 2016

Learning About Cycling Clothing

As you maybe aware I am relatively new to the joys road cycling. 
The preparation and training I am undertaking is a new experience and personal journey for me, as I complete each ride I learn or discover something new.
One aspect I have learnt is about cycle clothing. Both what to wear and more importantly, layering and packable/ removable clothing items.

Now I have ridden my mountain bike for many years. Dressing in the appropriate attire and carrying a rucksack which I could store a rain jacket and other clothing items in. Both retrieving additional items or storing layers of clothing that I may need to remove during a ride, safely and easily in my backpack.

But on a road bike this a little more tricky and needs some thought and preparation before I set off on my ride. 

So starting my training in January and continuing throughout the British winter means that the weather is a little changeable with wind, rain and differing temperatures to consider. 
The big mistake I used to make was wearing too many layers or the wrong kind of clothing. 
For example if it was wet and windy I'd wear a base layer, long sleeve jersey and soft shell jacket. Adding thick winter gloves, a neck buff, long bib tights and even sometimes a skull cap.

As the more experienced riders will instantly recognise, 10 minutes into my ride I am massively overheating. Desperately undoing zips to try and get some airflow and release some of the body warmth I am generating!!
Now if I was on my mountain bike with my rucksack, I'd have stopped and removed the excess layers of clothing. Sadly on my road bike this is not an option as I don't take or use rucksack. Aside from removing skull cap and neck buff (storing them in jacket or jersey pockets) my options were to ride with jackets and jersey unzipped to try and regulate my body temperature which is not ideal.
Plus there was always the added frustration of having cold feet, no matter how warm my core temperature got! 

On one particular early training ride I wore too few layers and not the appropriate clothing for the weather conditions and I was cold for the majority of the ride, which again is not a very pleasant or enjoyable experience!

It only took me a few rides to work out that I needed to rethink my clothing choices!!

So with a little research and thought I have now discovered what cycling attire works best for me. No matter what the conditions at the start of the ride, or even if the weather changes mid-ride.


Base Layer

For me this is the essential element. A good quality, decent base layer. I prefer long sleeved but that is personal preference. 



Cycling Jersey

Invest in good quality winter cycling jersey that is fairly close fitting and not too big or baggy. I personally wear a Fat Lad At The Back long sleeve jersey as I enjoy the humour in the design and the excellent quality in a more 'generous' sizing!



Wind-proof Gilet

A lightweight, packable item that I am a big fan of. A good friend of mine very kindly donated his spare one to me. In essence it is a wind-proof item that keeps my core warm at the start of the ride, that I can easily take off or put on during my ride. Plus it folds up so small it fits into my cycling jersey pocket. 

Rain Jacket

Again a fit for purpose cycling rain jacket. Mine is packable and lives in my cycling jersey pocket. It is not designed to keep me warm but does keep me dry. Quick and easy to get out of pocket and get on over my helmet quickly, plus it has a longer back or tail that helps keep my lower back dry if I am out on a ride and caught in the rain or a wintry shower. 



Bib Tights

As a mountain biker I discovered the benefits of a good quality padded short very early on! So when I took up road cycling I invested in a pair of bib tights that keep me warm and comfortable. An essential piece of cycling attire!




Overshoes

As I found out to my discomfort quite early on when riding my road bike. My feet got cold quickly and never seemed to warm up no matter how far or how long I rode. This was no fun at all and at times a little painful. Therefore I invested in a pair of overshoes. Now they may look a little odd, but they work so well. Warm feet = a happier rider!
I purchased a budget pair of neoprene overshoes. They are easy to get on and off and don't impair my shoes clipping in or out of my pedals.

Socks

To ensure my feet stayed warm I also invested in some decent socks. After getting caught out in a torrential downpour of rain on an early training ride, getting wet and cold feet was the worst! So I started to use my SealSkinz waterproof socks that I wear in the winter on my mountain bike. Feet are warm and dry!

Gloves

Last but by no means least is gloves. Arguably one of the most important items of clothing in the winter. Aside from the protection values, cold fingers are less responsive on your gears and more importantly your brakes. So keeping my hands warm was always a priority. Fortunately my first pair of gloves I brought have been fantastic and work really well in the wind, rain and cold. Plus they are not too bulky and easy to get out and off, no matter how warm my hands are.





So it may have taken me a few rides to learnt this, but since I now have the correct cycling apparel I am finding that my training rides are much more enjoyable and comfortable 




No comments:

Post a Comment