Main Image

Main Image

Thursday 14 April 2016

Learning About Worn Out Cleats!

As a fairly inexperienced road cyclist I am still learning new things about road cycling and its intricacies!
My latest 'learning' relates to the cleats on my cycling shoes and their wear. Now I am very used to riding "clipped-in" on my mountain bike, using Shimano SPD cleats and pedals. These small metal cleats easily and simply locate in my mountain bike pedals and fit to my shoes with two bolts. I can see and feel the wear very easily as the metal wears down or the clipping-in action becomes too loose, I then know to replace my cleats.
Plus as the cleats are more recessed in my shoe, the wear is a lot less when I am off the bike as my mountain shoes have a flat sole.
But the SPD road cleats are a little different. Firstly they are a lot larger and secondly they are plastic not metal. Thirdly they protrude so when walking off the bike they are in direct contact with the ground.
But recently I have learnt that the road cleats have "colour wear indicators". As you can see from the first picture below, the yellow parts of the cleat are 'wear indicators'. This is how my cleats looked when they were new!



Once fitted to my road shoes they looked like the picture below after a few ride!


But after over 500 miles of riding they now look like the picture below. Plus the 'clipping-in' action has become a little more difficult when riding. Hence I thought I might need to change my cleats. 
So began a little bit of research and on-line browsing for cleats when I discovered my newly discovered knowledge of "colour wear indicators"!
When the yellow pieces of plastic have worn away then you need to replace your cleats...it is that simple!
Hence why I will be changing my worn out cleats for a new set before my next training ride!




As the cliché goes "everyday is a school-day!"


No comments:

Post a Comment