Main Image

Main Image

Tuesday 12 April 2016

My First Sportive - How Did It Go?

So a few weeks ago I entered my first ever sportive, the Wiggle New Forest Sportive.  on Sunday 10th April 2016
My reasons for entering were two-fold. 
  • Firstly as a long training ride in both miles and time in the saddle as I prepare and train for my 145 miles of riding from London to Amsterdam, starting on the 3rd June 2016.
  • The second reason was to experience and learn what it is like to ride with and within large groups of riders. As this is something I've never experienced before as I generally ride/train solo or with a friend.

The Sportive started and finished at Somerley House in Ringwood, with a great route encompassing some amazing roads and scenery across the New Forest.


Reading my extensive and very good information back that was emailed to me from UK Cycling Events, I could register and sign-in to ride late on Saturday afternoon, which I choose to do. Meaning that I could turn up early on Sunday morning with my time chip attached to my helmet and my entry number secured to my handlebars, and simply start to ride without having to queue for registration.
My understanding is that this sportive is extremely popular and attracts over 2,000 riders on both the Saturday and Sunday events. There is a choice of routes you can ride. The Epic which is 84 miles or the Standard which is 67 miles. I chose Standard!
The route across the New Forest is predominately flat(ish) with the occasional up and down. The roads are good and traffic is generally light or accommodating on quiet country roads.
There was one steep climb that came after about 52 miles, which was fairly tough as it kicked up in places and had a sharp bend with another hidden climbing section. But I was really happy that I got up it without stopping!

So I arrived at the start area. Received a great briefing and we were off! I was a little nervous at the start as you can see in the picture below!

  • Had I worn the correct and appropriate clothes or layers for 67 miles of riding in about 4 1/2 hours?
  • Did I have enough food and snacks to fuel me for 67 miles?
  • Would my bike complete 67 miles with no mechanicals or punctures?
I needn't have worried. The route was excellent with clear signage throughout the route and very encouraging and helpful marshals roadside.
At times I rode in a group and at other times I rode solo, depending on how good or tired my legs felt and the pace I wanted to maintain. I witnessed and then learnt the etiquette and signals that riders use to point out hazards or move position in the group from front to back.
All the riders were friendly and tolerant of different styles or levels of experience of others. Everyone treated it as an event, not a race. 
The weather conditions were a little challenging with a blustery wind making certain exposed sections in the forest difficult. Head winds and cross winds were at times energy sapping. But the sun shone at times and most importantly it stayed dry throughout the day.

So how did I do?

Well I am pleased to say I completed my 66 miles in 4hrs, 11mins and 54 secs.
Averaging 15.7mph with climbing and descending elevation of 1,658ft. Well that is according to Strava!
The finish line in the grounds of Somerley House was a very welcome sight. As were the smiling marshals who handed me my medal, my 'finisher' t-shirt and supplies of Power Bars and chocolate milkshakes.



A thoroughly enjoyable and worthwhile experience that I will be repeating next year. I might even attempt the Epic route!





No comments:

Post a Comment