Main Image

Main Image

Monday 25 April 2016

New Tyres Fitted

Since I've had my Boardman Team road bike I've ridden a little over 870 miles, according to my Strava profile. 

I check my tyres for wear and damage before every ride, but I'm always a little concerned about getting a puncture when out on a ride. Now I do carry a spare inner tube, puncture repair patches and a CO2 pump on every ride, but luckily I've never had the misfortunate of puncturing whilst out riding.
After asking and receiving some excellent expert advice from Dave Crombie at Bike Fixed.com, plus a little on-line research, I decided it was time to replace and upgrade the tyres on my bike. 

My existing Vittoria Zaffiro tyres were looking a little worn, with a few 'nicks' in the tyre and the grip when out riding had become a little less responsive on tight fast corners.

I choose a pair of Continental Grand Prix 4000S II, as the many excellent reviews and specification really appealed. They offered low rolling resistance and high levels of puncture protection.


New set of Continental Grand Prix 4000s tyres fitted to a Boardman Team road bike

I fitted these new tyres on Saturday morning. First impressions of these tyres were the high quality of the manufacture with a durable core, plus I found the lightness of the overall weight of tyre a real pleasant surprise.
Once fitted on the bike, I was off out on my first of two training rides across the weekend. The performance difference was really noticeable, changing the feel of the bike to be a lot more responsive and faster. Gripping really well into corners and gliding over the tarmac on flat straight roads. Plus aesthetically they look a lot better than the previous factory fitted Vittoria Zaffiro yellow tyres!

Cross section of the Continental Grand Prix 4000S tyres for road bikes



The official description of the Continental Grand Prix 4000S II is....

Undisputed market leading race bike tyre. The legendary GP4000S tyre has been updated to include a broader range of sizes which now also benefit from the latest cutting edge rubber compounding available in the bicycle tyre industry - BLACKCHILI.
This technology is constantly evolving and what better way to introduce our latest version than to update the tyre that launched the compound back in 2007.
Featuring lower rolling resistance, higher mileage and maximum wet weather grip, riders who already use the GP4000S will continue in the knowledge that they are riding the best all-round performance road bike tyres that money can buy. Newbies to the Continental brand will gain from all the factors that make countless professional riders insist on riding Continental tyres.


No comments:

Post a Comment